Main Hall: 

It was built in 1882 as a gymnasium, assembly hall and dining room for the Kingsley Memorial College - which only lasted 4 years.                                                                                                                                                                                         The  Hall was used sporadically as an entertainment venue and skating rink.   It was used extensively during WW2 by various groups, including Highgate School and the Army .

The Westward Ho! Community Association was formed, and they bought the Hall. It was refurbished, and Haydn Wood , composer of ' Roses of Picardy' cut the ribbon at the grand re-opening on June 6th 1949.

The Association has run the Hall since the early days, when badminton was very popular. 

The stables became Miss Butterworth's School, and there are  many of her pupils who still live in Westward Ho! today. 

The Hall was very busy during the 60's and 70's. with dancing to live bands on a Saturday night. There was no alcohol and no direct access to the pub next door. It was known back in those days as the Palais De Dance. 

In the entrance foyer there is a memorial to those fallen during WW2. There are still descendants of some of them, living in Westward Ho! today. 

In 1959 the Hall was out of commission for approximately 3 weeks, whilst it was redecorated, had a new kitchen and a new dance floor was installed. The Canadian Maple sprung floor is today, still one of the finest dance floors in the South West.

The Old Schoolroom

Originally built as a stables/coachouse in approx 1880. There was stabling for 3 horses, and room for 2 carriages. There was a tack room and hay loft above.








Community Web Kit provided free by BT
Cookies and Privacy | Charity Number: 301012